Child Online Safety 2024
Child safety is of the utmost importance and should be a top priority for parents, caregivers, educators, and society as a whole. Children are vulnerable and depend on adults to create a safe and secure environment for their growth, development, and well-being.
Below are some of the ways you can use to keep your child’s online presence secure:
- Teach them about the dangers they could face on the internet if they don’t follow the rules you’ve laid out for them.
E.g., cyberbullying, child pornography, child online abuse, sextortion, and many more.
- Help them set up their accounts and privacy settings. Example: activating two-step verification, checking their privacy settings, and periodically checking their login info to see if someone has logged into their account using a different device.
- Stay updated on the new threats to your kid’s online presence so that you can take preventive measures to ensure your kid is safe on the internet.
Platforms to help you keep updated with new threats in cyberspace:
- You can use monitoring apps to track your kid’s social media and online activities. Apps like Qustodio, Google Family Link, OurPact, and Norton Family can help you monitor your kid’s activities on the internet.
- Educate yourself about social media. Start by finding out what kind of apps and sites your child is interested in. Read app reviews, age limits, and fine print.
- Limit access to websites.
Must read also: Facebook and privacy security measures to keep your online presence safe.
By prioritizing child safety and working collectively, we can create an environment where children can grow, learn, and thrive free from harm. It requires a combination of vigilance, education, and proactive measures to ensure the well-being and protection of our children.